Accumulation of dead skin cells, friction, extensive exposure to sun, or a hormonal imbalance can become the cause of dark knees and elbows. These parts of our body don’t contain any oil glands and it’s important to protect them from dryness through proper care and hygiene.
We at Berries Magazine present 10 easy yet super effective techniques to help you nourish your skin and remove dark patches.
Due to its bleaching properties, cucumber is among the most effective ways to get rid of dark knees and elbows. It removes dead skin cells and keeps your skin moisturized. Vitamins A and C that are present in cucumbers keep the skin beautiful and fresh.
- Gently rub thick slices of cucumber over your elbows and knees for 15 minutes.
- Leave it on for another 5 minutes and then rinse it off with cold water.
You can also mix equal amounts of cucumber juice and lemon juice. Apply the mixture on your knees, elbows, and also underarms. Leave it on for 20 minutes and rinse it off. Do this on a daily basis.
2. Lemon and baking soda
Lemon is an excellent skin lightening ingredient. It’s packed with antioxidants and vitamin C which promote skin regeneration and improve skin complexion. Baking soda acts as a gentle and effective cleanser for whitening dark areas of skin.
- Take a lemon and cut it into 2 halves.
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp of baking soda on top of the lemon.
- Rub your elbows and knees for 1 minute.
- Let it sit for 15 minutes and then wash off with warm water.
Repeat once every 2 days for a desired effect.
Aloe Vera contains substances that help to moisturize your skin and improve uneven skin tone. It also has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. The combination of Aloe Vera and milk is a simple and useful way to lighten your skin naturally.
- Mix equal amounts of milk and Aloe Vera gel and apply the mixture to your skin.
- Leave it on overnight and then wash it off the next morning.
Alternatively, you can extract the gel from the Aloe Vera leaf and apply it to your knees and elbows. Leave it on for 20 minutes, and then wash it off with warm water.
Potato is rich in catecholase enzymes that can naturally lighten your skin tone. Daily usage of potato will soften your skin and help you get rid of dark areas.
- Grate the potato, squeeze out the juice, and apply it to your skin.
- Leave it on your skin for 15 minutes, then rinse it with water.
- Apply a moisturizer.
You can also rub your elbows and knees with a potato cut into slices for about 10-15 minutes and then wash off.
Turmeric is the most natural remedy remove impurities and dead skin cells from your knees and elbows without any side effects. It contains a compound called curcumin which reduces and regulates the excess production of melanin responsible for dark complexions.
- Mix some turmeric powder with 1 tsp of milk.
- Apply it to the knees and elbows.
- Massage for a few minutes and leave it to dry naturally.
- Rinse it with warm water.
You can add a bit of honey to the mixture for a better effect.
6. Coconut oil
Coconut oil is packed with essential fatty acids and vitamin E that help to repair dark and damaged skin.
- After each shower or bath apply coconut oil to the affected areas.
- Massage gently for 2-3 minutes until the oil is absorbed into the skin.
You can also add 1/2 tsp of fresh lemon juice to 1 tsp of coconut oil and gently massage your knees and elbows for a few minutes.
Honey acts as a natural moisturizer. In combination with lemon it can work wonders on your skin.
- Mix 2 tbsp honey, the juice of half a lemon, and 1 tsp baking soda.
- Apply the mixture over the darkened areas.
- Let it sit for 20 to 30 minutes and wash off.
Honey also works well with milk and Aloe Vera. You can combine 1 tbsp of honey with 1 tsp of milk and 1 tbsp of Aloe Vera gel. Apply the paste to your skin, leave it for 15 minutes, and rinse it off with warm water.
8. Sugar and olive oil
A homemade scrub made from sugar and olive oil will nourish, hydrate, and remove dead cells from your skin.
- Combine equal amounts of sugar and olive oil to make a fine mixture.
- Apply it to knees and elbows and massage in circular motions for about 5 minutes.
- Repeat this on a weekly basis.
This scrub can also be used to cleanse your face. Just make sure to not rub too hard, as it may hurt your skin.
9. Oatmeal scrub
Along with having a lot of benefits for health, oatmeal is another effective way to have a flawless skin tone. You will need lemon juice, oatmeal, and salt.
- Mix the juice of 1/2 lemon, 1/2 tbsp oatmeal, and a pinch of salt.
- Apply the scrub in circular motions to your knees and elbows for 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water.
- Repeat this process 3-4 times a week to achieve the best results.
You can also combine 2 tbsp oatmeal with 2 tsp of milk and message the dark areas for 10 minutes. Then rinse it off with water. It will make your skin feel soft, smooth, healthy, and radiant.
10. Vinegar and yogurt
The rich content of acetic acid in vinegar and lactic acid in yogurt will help to cleanse your knees and elbows and reveal glowing skin.
- Mix 1 tbsp of yogurt and 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar.
- Apply this mixture on your skin.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes and wash it off with warm water.
- Repeat this procedure 3-4 times a week.
Another easy way to lighten your skin is to mix apple cider vinegar with some water and apply it to your elbows and knees with cotton balls. Leave it on for 15 minutes and wash it off.
Do you know any other effective skin lightening tips? Feel free to share them with us in the comments!